Back in the summer of 2017, I was invited to go to Mexico by author and Toad (5-MeO-DMT) facilitator Dr. Gerry Sandoval. He wanted me to come with him to the place he grew up to try their local psilocybin mushrooms. It was already an amazing offer and it hit a new level when he told me both Julian Palmer and Kilindi Iyi would be there as well.
How could I pass on this opportunity? It was something I have been fantasizing about for years; to eat wild psychedelic mushrooms in Mexico!
So I jumped on an overnight plane to Mexico. I met up with Gerry and Julian in the MEX airport at 7am local time. From there we took a flight directly to Oaxaca where we met up with Kilinid and after a quesadilla lunch, some mescal, and a couple handfuls of roasted grasshoppers, we took a bus 3 hours up into the cloud mountains, San Jose Del Pacifico.
The next day we hiked a mountain to a sacred Zapotec site. That same night we ate “The Landslide Mushrooms”, a wild (and exceptionally potent) species of psilocybin mushrooms.
It was just the 4 of us plus Gerry’s partner and another friend of his in a cabin on the side of the mountain. The fire was roaring and the full moon was high in the sky. It was one of the strongest psychedelic experiences of my life! But that is a story for another time.
For this episode, I release to you the recording of Julian, Kilindi, Gerry, and I talking about our mushrooms experience the day after the ceremony.
I knew this was going to be an opportunity of a lifetime, not only for myself but for you as well! There was a unique dynamic between us that morning and I knew I wanted to catch it for you. Enjoy.
- What is the “landslide mushroom”?
- The modern history of mushrooms in the Oaxaca region of Mexico.
- Each of our specific experiences with the landslides the night before.
- Exploring the differences between different strains of mushrooms.
- Ayahuasca vs. Mushrooms; the vast potential of psilocybin.
- Communicating with plants.
- Entities, plant spirits, or manifestations of personal mind?
- Reality: oneness or multiplicity?
- Making sense of the psychedelic experience; the role psychedelics have played in each of our journeys.
- The ecological instability and threat encroaching these mushrooms.
- The different strains we have tried and which are our favorites.
- Advice for dosing mushrooms at that high, entheogenic level.
Check out some Images from the adventure!
***Most photos courtesy of Dr. Gerry
I am about to do something huge.
On Oct 15th I move into a single bedroom apartment with the goal set of writing 2 new books, producing regular youtube videos, and continuing to progress the podcast, all on income made through my creative entrepreneurship.
However, this is a risky shot!
I am a long way from being about to even break even with my expenses and I need your help to do this. I am asking for support from those who have enjoyed the content I produce; those who have been touched by my words; those who believe that what I offer in my writing/podcasting/speaking is worthy of earning a sustainable income; those who want to help an independent writer meet the uncertain tempest of creative risk with success.
So I ask if you believe in me or the impact of the content I produce (or even if you just casually enjoy it), please help me continue to invest in it by investing in me.