♥ Support The Show ♥
***See below for a complete topic breakdown.***
Psychedelics are poised to revolutionize psychiatric medicine (or at least that’s what the marketing suggests).
Be it psilocybin, LSD, ketamine or MDMA, a deeper dive into the actions of psychedelics in comparison and contrast to the current pharmaceutical milieu of antidepressants used in psychiatry reveals that, generally, these medicines don’t actually play well with each other. And, in some respects, work in opposite ways.
Sometimes antidepressants cancel out a psychedelic’s effect; other times they lead to serious adverse reactions, like serotonin syndrome and hypertensive crisis.
With so many people on antidepressants and the so-called psychedelic renaissance in full swing,
understanding the actions of each, and looking into both the efficacy and safety of combining antidepressants and psychedelics, is an important area of research.
Our guest for today’s episode is a specialist in this research.
Benjamin Malcolm (aka The Spirit Pharmacist) completed a doctorate in pharmacy and a masters in public health prior to post-graduate training and board certification in psychiatric pharmacy.
He currently holds a position in academia teaching psychiatric pharmacy as well as offers consultant services for persons seeking information about psychedelics, as well as offers online courses on psychedelics, at spiritpharmacist.com
Benjamin Malcolm joins us on to explore and compare the pharmacological actions of antidepressant psychotropics with the actions of the classical psychedelics, ayahuasca, MDMA, and ketamine.
We also explore the risk of combining psychedelics, MDMA, and/or ketamine with the different classes of antidepressants, including SSRIs, SNRIs, and MAOIs, and even NDRIs like Wellbutrin and Strattera.
This episode is chock full of very specific information about pharmacology.
Get your notepad ready.
♥ SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST ♥
- The difference between antidepressants and psychedelics as treatments for mental health disorders
- How antidepressant psychotropics address mental health disorders
- How psychedelics address mental health disorders
- Psychedelic psychotherapy is suffering under the weight of trying to fit in with psychiatry
- Psychedelics help you heal yourself, by helping to heal your brain
- How the classical psychedelics affect the brain—Lsd, psilocybin, MDMA, Ayahuasca, and Ketamine
- Neurotrophic factors and psychedelic induced neuroplasticity
- Combining tricyclic antidepressants and psychedelics (including MDMA, ketamine, and ayahuasca)
- What are MAOIs (a vs b, reversible vs irreversible) and their interaction with psychedelics (and ayahuasca)
- An explanation of serotonin syndrome
- Combining MAOIs with psilocybin and LSD
- Combining MAOIs with MDMA (as well as other stimulants)
- SRI’s and SNRI’s— what are they and how do they interact with psychedelics
- SSRIs reduce the effects of MDMA
- Is it a good idea to use Prozac for MDMA hangover
- NRI and NDRI–what are they and how do they interact with psychedelics (including ayahuasca)
- Mixing Wellbutrin or Straterra with psychedelics
- Why anecdotal evidence for drug reactions doesn’t amount to much
- Combining SARI (trazodone) with psychedelics
SpiritPharmacist.com features a massive collection of articles on interactions between antidepressants and psychedelics, as well as psychedelics and a number of other pharmaceutical medicines. Spiritpharmacist.com also features a monthly membership program that offers:
- Discounted rates on private consultations
- Ability to ask questions and get them answered via email anytime
- Access to all the courses I’ve made
- My library of drug interaction guides
- A live monthly members’ summit
- Discounted membership to full-time students