↓ Audio-only Stream ↓
♥ Support The Show ♥
Become a patron on Patreon
Leave a one-time PayPal Donation | Send some cryptocurrency
Buy a book | Buy some merch
***See below for a complete topic breakdown.***
Join us on Reddit at r/ATTMindPodcast to discuss this episode.
We are composed of Multiple selves and are never truly one Self.
The multiplicity of the mind is a common theme here on the podcast, but always with the inferred presence of a central Self from which that multiplicity emerges and to which that multiplicity organizes.
However, what if there was no central self, no ego at all? What if the multiplicity of the mind, our symphony of selves, was without a conductor? Akin more to a flock of starlings than to an orchestra at all? What if the Single Self Assumption that so often dominates our prevailing sense of what it is to be, is false?
Furthermore, if that is the case, how do we come to understand ourselves as a “me” operating in a world of other “me’s”? And, how do we, as a me with a central I, navigate our many selves? And, calling in psychedelics, how do we come to understand what is happening in our so-called ego deaths, if there is no such thing as an ego in the first place?
Our guest for this episode of Adventures Through The Mind is Jordan Gruber and he is on the show to explore these questions with us. Here is his bio:
Jordan Gruber, J.D., M.A., has both a BA in philosophy and an MA in public policy analysis and administration from Binghamton University, and a JD from the University of Virginia School of Law. After practising law briefly, including a stint at a NASA campus, he became a writer, ghostwriter, and editor working on a wide range of subjects, from forensic audio to financial services and from health and wellness to psychology and spirituality. He is known for his creativity, editing skills, and ability to collaboratively co-create books that are not only clear and easy to read, but that often take the content well beyond his collaborators’ original expectations. He also founded the once-active website Enlightenment.Com where he brought forth the first-ever interview with American integral philosopher Ken Wilber.
Jordangurber.com | yoursymphonyofselves.com
Along with Dr. James Fadiman—a name many of you in the psychedelic scene are likely familiar with given his role in the modern microdosing movement—Jordan Gruber is also the author of a new book called, Your Symphony Of Selves: Discover and Understand More of Who We Are.
It is this book that he is on the show to talk about. Here’s a snippet from the book description:
Explaining that it is normal to have multiple selves, the authors offer insights into why we all are inconsistent at times, allowing us to become more accepting of the different parts of who we and other people are. They explore, through extensive reviews, how the concept of healthy multiple selves has been supported in science, popular culture, spirituality, philosophy, art, literature, and ancient traditions and cite well-known people, including David Bowie and Beyoncé, who describe accessing another self at a pivotal point in their lives to resolve a pressing challenge. [source]
Some of the topics we explore in this episode include an in-depth look at The Health Selves Model in comparison and contrast to The Single Self Assumption; why we mistakenly assume multiple selves to be pathological; how mental health is being in the right mind (self/selves) as the right time; and how we can start applying the healthy selves model into our lives today.
We also talk about Monotheism’s influence on the single self assumption—“the single god assumption”; how Buddishm’s noself and interdependence relates to multiple selves; the difference between multiple selves and Jungian archetypes/autonomous complexes; how Sigmund Freud helped The Single Self Assumption dominate the western mind; and how the very origins of Freud’s model of the mind might be in the gaslighting of sexual abuse.
Furthermore, we also explore psychedelic journeying and healing from a healthy selves model; how we might understand the effects of psychedelics on the ego, if there is no such thing as an ego; as well as all of reality being fractal iterations of various wholistic expressions of cosmic multiplicity while debating the validity of The Essential Self, Self Energy, and our ability to live in relationship to “Ultimate Reality”.
And, of course, more.
♥ SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST ♥
ITUNES | RSS | STITCHER | TUNEIN | GOOGLE PLAY | YOUTUBE | YOUTUBE (EPISODE CLIPS) | SPOTIFY | AMAZON
EMAIL NEWSLETTER | TELEGRAM CHANNEL | ATTMIND PODCAST SUBREDDIT
Timestamps available via youtube video
- James’ thoughts on Your Symphony Of Selves book
- Why multiple selves can be very confronting
- How we came to see multiple selves as being pathological | and why multiplicity is normal
- Switching into younger/healthier selves in our aging, dying time, or Alzheimer’s disease
- How Sigmund Freud helped The Single Self Assumption dominate the western mind
- The origins of Freud’s model of the mind might have be in the gaslighting of sexual abuse
- Jung: the difference between multiple selves and archetypes/autonomous complexes
- Monotheism’s influence on the single self assumption; “the single god assumption”?
- How Buddishm’s noself and interdependence relates to multiple selves
- Can a noself identity be a defensive compensation?
- Centering our selves, without a central self
- What about “I”?
- Debating the validity of The Essential Self, Self Energy, and our ability to live in relationship to “Ultimate Reality”
- Spiritual bypassing by evading the realities of relational life
- All of reality is fractal iterations of various wholistic expressions of cosmic multiplicity
- Psychedelic journeying and healing from a healthy selves model
- Developing your “psychedelic journey self” | Interviews with Christopher Bache
- Never do a psychedelic journey unless all selves are on board
- Considering the effects of psychedelics on the ego, if there is no such thing as an ego
- Why we need to give up on having big definite theories
- Don’t force selves into integration or try to get rid of selves
- The Single Soul Assumption?
- How to start applying the healthy selves model into your life today
- Follow-up links and contact info
Please SUPPORT THE PODCAST
OFFER WHAT YOU CAN IN A ONE-TIME PAYPAL OR BITCOIN DONATION, OR you can BECOME MY PATRON ON PATREON.
No amount is too small; anything is something.
You can also buy one of my books or an ATTMind TeeShirt
Or share this post via social media or simply tell a friend about it.
*** Extra BIG thanks to my patrons on Patreon for helping keep this podcast alive! Especially my $23+ patrons, Andreas D, Clea S, Ian C, Yvette FC, Alex F, Eliz C, Nick M, Michelle M, Chloe C, & Heartwood Mushrooms
Comments are closed.