Exploring Consciousness At The Edge Of Sleep
Jennifer Dumpert ~ ATTMind 99
♥ Support The Show ♥
***See below for a complete topic breakdown.***
Each of us possesses the capacity to explore realities unbound from the default real, expansive and mysterious.
Be it deep meditation, nature immersion, psychedelics, or whatever other means by which we access it, our minds are gateways to worlds yet unfathomed by our ego and unplumbed by our personal awareness. One method available to us is a ubiquitous phenomenon amongst all people, psychonauts and normies alike. A phenomenon many of us take for granted, ignore, or trivialize into the mundane, but one that holds great potential for those of us curious to explore the vast reaches of the mind. It’s free, it’s legal, and it is always available to you.
Liminal dreaming is an access point by which we can direct our awareness, through active imagination, into the content-rich space between wakefulness and sleep. Different from our standard REM dreams, or from lucid dreams, liminal dreaming is accessed through hypnopompic and hypnogogic states. Although for most of us these states are fleeting at best, it is possible to practice our access to the liminal mind while simultaneously extending and deepening our time within it. It is a skill, one our guest for this episode is going to teach us.
Jennifer Dumpert is a San Francisco-based writer, lecturer, and consciousness hacker. She is the author of the recently released Liminal Dreaming: Exploring Consciousness at the Edges of Sleep and the founder of the Oneironauticum, an international organization that explores the phenomenological experience of dreams as a means of experimenting with mind. She also teaches the practice of Liminal Dreaming—surfing the edges of consciousness using hypnagogic and hypnopompic dream states.
She joins us on the show today to offer an introductory primer on the hows and whys of liminal dreaming, the differences between liminal dreaming and other forms of dreaming, as well as the cross-applicable skillsets shared between dream-tripping and psychedelics.
♥ SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST ♥
- What is liminal dreaming and what does it offer us?
- Sleep cycles, brainwaves, and dreams all the way through
- Hypopompia vs hypnagogia
- REM dreams, vs liminal dreams, vs lucid dreams
- The continuity of consciousness through dream states
- Myoclonic jerks and “falling” asleep
- Harnessing cannabis induced REM rebound to enter sleep paralysis
- Imagination as a faculty of perception
- Autosymbolic phenomena
- Liminal shamanism
- The limitations of dream interpretations
- A practice for harnessing hypnagogia for creative insight
- The cross applicable skillsets between psychedelics and liminal dreaming
- Oneirogens (compounds that help stimulate dreaming)
- The liminal state during birth and death
- Two practices for entering a liminal dream states
Here you will find access to all of Jennifer’s various sites, including specific sites on oneirogens and liminal dreaming as well as her dream report blog.