♥ Support The Show ♥
***See below for a complete topic breakdown.***
What is the evolutionary role of psilocybin in Life on this planet?
This is both an explicit question and an implicit guiding inquiry in the discussion you will hear on this episode Adventures Through The Mind.
Our guest is Jahan Khamsehzadeh, Ph.D.
Jahan completed his dissertation on psychedelics in the Philosophy, Cosmology, and Consciousness program at the California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS) in San Francisco. His book, The Psilocybin Connection: Psychedelics, the Transformation of Consciousness, and Evolution of the Planet—An Integral Approach, based on his research, was published Spring 2022.
Aside from academic work, he has undergone several major trainings, including graduating from the Hakomi somatic-psychotherapy program and training within the Mazatec mushroom tradition. He assisted the Psychedelic-Assisted Psychotherapy Certificate training at CIIS for two years, and mentored at the School of Consciousness Medicine. He works as a facilitator for legal psilocybin mushrooms ceremonies in Jamaica with Atman Retreats, and is on the PsiloHealth integration team. He volunteers at the Zendo Project, led a monthly group called “Developing a Relationship with Sacred Mushrooms” with the San Francisco Psychedelic Society.
You can learn more at his website: www.PsychedelicEvolution.org
Together Jahan and I have a wide-ranging discussion that starts with a wondering about the cultural place psychedelics are presently in with their growing rise to mainstream (and corporate) popularity.
From there we go into the role psychedelics can play in cultivating a strong, but healthy ego; why taking heroic doses is not the best way to heal or learn and it may actually hurt you; how our drive for connection has been violated by modern life but remains available to us if we learn how to heal the wounds we carry as a consequence of modern life; and why an understanding of psychedelics requires us to transcend reductionism and materialism.
Furthermore, this conversation waves in and out from microscopic to the cosmologic as we also discuss the role fungi, in general, have played and continue to play in the evolution and existence of life and consciousness on this planet; how psilocybin may have assisted in the development of human consciousness; psychedelic molecules and the Gaian mind; infinite variability of Unity; the voice of the Mushroom; the voice of God; and the archetypal structure of reality.
We even talk about how the genetic expression that leads to ADHD may have driven the very evolution of human consciousness through its quest for novelty and an inclination to wander.
This is a big episode, and I hope you enjoy it
Thanks to Jim Figora for allowing us to use his art for this episode.
Follow Jim on Instagram here.
♥ SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST ♥
- (0:00) Episode Sponsor: The Evolving Psychedelic Ecosystem
- No-charge online live event happening Tuesday, Sept 20, 2022. Details here.
- (1:26) Intro & guest bio
- (5:24) Patreon Thanks
- (6:33) Interview begins
- (8:15) Speaking about my own book with Jahan
- (9:16) Participating in the wave of Psychedelic Culture
- (13:17) Psychedelics actually grow the ego—for good and ill
- (17:31) The Structure of Self, Life, and Reality
- (19:11) Masculine and Feminine Energy | Archetypal Reality
- (25:51) We are a symphony of selves, interpersonally and intrapersonally
- (27:12)Psychedelic molecules and the evolution of Gaia Mind ***
- (31:29) The damaging effects of failing to see the deep interconnection of life
- (34:56) Why scientific materialism is inadequate to explain psychedelics
- (39:38) Western reductionism is unable to see its own cultural frame of reference
- (45:27) There is no “The” mystical experience | There is an infinite variability of Unity
- (48:37) There is value in psychedelic experiences that aren’t “peak mystical experiences”
- (50:55) The role of psilocybin in the evolution of human consciousness; the Stoned Ape Theory
- (54:11) The role of fungi in the history of life surviving in the face of planetary crisis
- (58:06) Without fungi, there would be no life as we know it on this planet
- (59:52) The voice of the Mushroom; the voice of God ***
- (1:02:41) The specific role that the psilocybin mushroom is playing in life and consciousness
- (1:06:27) Taking heroic doses is not the best way to heal or learn, it may actually hurt you
- (1:12:24) Stop worrying about having “the” mystical experience, there is so much more there for you
- (1:13:39) The longing for belonging, Connection, and communion
- (1:16:04) the root of depression is a lack of connection
- (1:17:33) Disconnection beyond humanity
- (1:20:38) Living awake and mature in a relational reality***
- (1:24:22) balancing care of self and service to others
- (1:30:22) ADHD drove the evolution of human consciousness ****
- (1:31:57) ADHD is not a cultural construct, it has a genetic basis that goes back thousands of years
- (1:34:08) the evolutionary advantage of ADHD in early humanity; including being the first to eat psilocybin
- (1:37:09) dismantling ADHD shame
- (1:40:12) Psychedelics are helping resolve our crisis in perception
- (1:43:58) Follow-up links
- (1:44:53) Outro